History of the Indiana Interchurch Center
From EDWIN L. BECKER: THE STORY OF THE INDIANA INTERCHURCH CENTER, 1991
The Indiana Interchurch Center began as a joint home for the Church Federation of Greater Indianapolis and the Indiana Council of Churches. The first building, opened in 1960, was a residence at 1622 North Meridian Street in Indianapolis.
Over the next few years the idea developed of a more comprehensive church center, including other denominations such as Presbyterian, Lutheran, Episcopal, Methodist, and United Church of Christ. A joint organization was launched in 1963. Choice of a site (at 42nd Street and Michigan Road, on ground obtained from Christian Theological Seminary) and fund-raising took several years more. Ground was broken in July 1966, and some tenants moved in July 1967. It took several more years to pay off building costs, finish the building, and fill it with tenants.